Wednesday, February 20, 2008

One of my parenting experiments that worked!!!!

Now, many who read my blog know I love me some creative parenting. Yes, I do. So here is the tale of my latest experiment.

Happy Boy is one of the best kids ever. His sense of humor is out of this world, much like his ornery smile. However, laziness is his weakness. The boy does not like to exert himself. Sending him to clean his room is like asking him to pluck his toenails off one by one...torture. Then after an hour of him locked in his room with N.O. progress I would set the timer give him 2 minutes to clean everything green, or all things action figures. 2 minutes for red, or balls. 2 minutes for blue, or cars. You get the picture.

A couple of weeks ago I was exhausted of the constant battle and developed a plan. I realized that I probably never devoted the time to teaching him how to clean his room as I had to Happy Girl - he is the second child. I was partially to blame. I headed to his room with a large trash bag and anything that wasn't it it's "home" I threw in the bag. Two trash bags later and a very clean room left one Happy Mom. I dragged the two bags to the guest room and left to pick my darling 6-y-o from school.

On the way home I apologized to him for not taking the time to teach him how to clean his room. I informed him that I cleaned his room for him by taking anything out that wasn't put away it it's "home". I told him if he could keep his room clean each night while he brushed his teeth I would inspect the entire house. If all of his toys were put away then he could earn a toy back from the guest room but he could only keep it if he could prove to me that the toy his picked had a "home". However, if I found toys during inspection they would head to the trash bag in the spare room and he wouldn't gain a toy for that day.

HALLELUJAH!!!! The angels have sung and heavenly rays have warmed our home for 2 weeks!

People - I have a new son. It has been amazing. Let me know if you decide to try this tactic, I'm curious if it works for anyone else.

Name: Rebekah
Home: Kansas, United States
See my complete profile





Powered by Blogger