Sunday, August 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!!!


So, my dad's birthday was yesterday. I would have posted then but we spent the day together at Worlds of Fun and I didn't have the "umph" to post last night. Yeah, I guess if I were a good daughter I could have written the post on Friday and published it yesterday but that would have called for the anticipation and preparation on my behalf and it just wasn't gonna happen, folks.

He's sixty! 6. 0. Aren't you happy I threw that out there, Dad?!!! heh. He's a very young sixty I must add. On his blog this past month he posted on how wonderful my mom is so I figured it was only fair to post on mine how wonderful he is and his birthday seemed the perfect time.

I'm a pretty lucky girl and I always thank God for allowing me to have the parents that I do. They're pretty incredible. My dad is the one who taught me that I can trust in God no matter what. After all, when all the other missionaries in El Salvador where returning to America due to the civil war my dad stayed put. That's not just words, people. He taught me to trust God through his actions and his own trust displayed.

He also taught me to appreciate music. All music. I grew up listening to the great classics like Mozart and Tchaikovsky, to musicals, to pop, you name it.

He taught me to love travel and appreciate other cultures. He taught me to see past peoples' skin and to look at their heart.

He allowed me to be myself. He never tried to change me or mold me into something that I wasn't. He always encouraged me to be me (crazy as I am).

All that is just a glimpse at what he means to me. But he's so much more. He is very respected in the Missions world. His extensive commitment to global missions is highly respected the world over. Because of his willingness to be used of God he has impacted lives of countless people. And it blows my mind that I can call him dad. I'm a blessed gal.

One last thing that he's taught me...to love and enjoy life. And the most recent example he set for me was yesterday as we celebrated his 60th birthday at Worlds of Fun. The man rode a ride called the Rip Cord. Check him out here and here. You can read my dad's recap of the day here. Ya gotta love life and savor every bit of it you can.

See, I told you he was an amazing guy!

Name: Rebekah
Home: Kansas, United States
See my complete profile





Powered by Blogger