Friday, August 11, 2006

I am no Worm Whisperer

Well, we spent the weekend in Omaha with my mother-in-law, which explains my temporary absence from blog world. BTW - don't you just love how I return without a word straight into Works for Me Wednesday? Yeah, I thought so.

Anyway... while there we visited the Children's Museum (a must on every visit to Nana's) and purchased a Horrible Science Weird Worms kit. I promised the kids we'd create our own worm habitat upon returning to home. Wednesday was the day.

We set out shortly after lunch with instructions in hand to create our worm-y abode. Here are the steps:

1. Find a clear jar and layer it with sand, kaolin (both found in the kit) and dirt (we supply our own).

2. Top the jar with leaves and grass.

3. Dig up a few worms and toss in the jar.

Now - this is where things get a bit...dirty.

The instructions give tips for charming the worms out of the ground. Such as wet the dirt if the ground is dry. Dance around on the dirt to make the worms think it is raining.

Yeah - can you see where this is going (surely you haven't forgotten I have a 3-year-old son.)
Let's just say, 2 hours later, a few neighbors questing my turning the ground with a large shovel, two mud-caked kids, and a mud-caked dog...NO WORMS.

You read right, no worms. Nada. Zilch. Zip. The big goose egg. I am no Worm Whisperer.

So, what is a mom to do? My own Master Card commercial.










Weird Worms Kit: $11.29




















Glass Vase: $3.94















Garden Shovel: 13.29








Loads of fun and memories for a life time:








PRICELESS.
You'll notice my daughter has a different shirt in the final picture. In true girl-y fashion she realized a white shirt was not good for playing in the mud and insisted on a change of shirt to a dark colored one. Women.

Name: Rebekah
Home: Kansas, United States
See my complete profile





Powered by Blogger