Saturday, September 15, 2007

Longest Post E.V.E.R!!!

I feel like I need to be on one of those "Where Are They Now" shows. It has been a while since I posted....lots to update on.



First....I disappeared for a few weeks because I was painting my living room and dining room/office. Now, when I say paint I mean peel icky wall paper, wash walls from sticky paper residue, sand all crown moulding, chair rails, baseboards, window frames and doorways, wash walls and trim from sanding residue, prime all crown moulding, chair rails, baseboards, window frames and doorways, paint all crown moulding, chair rails, baseboards, window frames and doorways, and wall that was previously wall papered. Then paint walls. Oh, wait, I forgot about the patching holes in the walls, that was in there too. Oh, and washing the brick fireplace top to bottom. *breath*



So, you see...it took some time and a lot of work. I'm sure I left something off.


Here are before and afters:
The dining room/office before. Notice the yicky wall paper?


Now the after!

The Living Room before:

And after:












Now, I have to share this about the living room. Happy Husband and I have a lot of treasured items that are just plain odd and have never been able to find a way to incorporate them into our decor. During our decorating stage he came up with a GENIUS idea...let's go for the eclectic look! I call it the Wacky-Old-Lady-With-A-Million-Cats eclectic look. Every item in our living room holds a cherished memory and a special story.


The fireplace holds the two dog paintings I made for Happy Boy's nursery when he was born. It also has a plant that was given to my by my mother-in-law when Happy Girl was born. It has the zebra that Happy Hubby and I got in Cancun on a great anniversary get away. Love it!



Now, the green bookshelf in the corner was made by either my great-granfather or great-great grandfather, I can't remember. I do know it was made for my grandmother when she was young. It is very special. On it (top to bottom) is a collection of Hubby's antique marbles in a fish bowl, a cat butt book end Hubby made when he was in school, some La Palma boxes from El Salvador (the country where I grew up as a missionary kid), some time from my Hubby's antique tin collection, and in the bottom basket is a green glass thing-y from my Hubby's antique collection that I have no clue what it is. To the left of the bookshelf we have a special tribute painting that hasn't been hung on the wall yet. It was painted by a student artist at the Kansas City Art Institute as a tribute to the Twin Towers that fell on 9/11. It means a lot because we were on a trip to NYC when we found out we were pregnant with our first child. The towers fell only a couple of years after our visit. The picture is small but it is an apple with a cut out of the twin towers in a pile of ash at the bottom.

Next is our piano top. It has an assortement of the Happy Kiddos' art work. It also has some pottery that I made when I was younger, a tea pot cow with a duck on it's back, a large jug, a lidded jar, and a pedestal bowl. They bring back great memories from when I made them.


All in all we love our new rooms. It was a TON of work but we're very happy.



Next topic: Dog is doing good. He's doubled in size and very healthy. Had his first grooming too.



Next Topic: Happy Boy celebrated a birthday Star Wars style. We had great fun.

This is my favorite pic of the party...Hubby getting attacked by Jedi.




Next topic: Tossed in the mix of fun was a Labor Day party to celebrate my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. You heard right. Sixty wonderful years of wedded bliss! Here's the happy couple.


I'm tired of loading pictures and typing. I'm ending my update now....heh.


Name: Rebekah
Home: Kansas, United States
See my complete profile





Powered by Blogger