Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My child actually picked up a good habit from me!

If you're a parent, you can really appreciate this story.

How many times have you seen your child portray an attribute of yours that made you cringe? Not the fact that they copied you but the fact they copied one of your worst habits or attributes.

The other day I was unloading the dishwasher. I have a silverware drawer that has a slot for our children's plastic spoons and forks. As I threw the silverware into the drawer (not caring if it fell in the appropriate slot) my daughter walked by and was appalled by my actions. She spoke in her best scolding voice, "Mom, the spoons belong in this slot and the forks belong in that one."

While I was slightly bothered by the correction of my 5-year-old, I soon was thrilled. Wow!!! She's organized! I used to pride myself in being a very organized person (I hate to admitted that my skills have become very rusty since having children...I can only keep up so much). I have tried very hard to teach her the old saying, "A place for everything, and everything in its place" and I think it has worked.

Ah, it's nice to have a good trait emulated.

Name: Rebekah
Home: Kansas, United States
See my complete profile





Powered by Blogger