Thursday, June 02, 2005

The perfect gift to yourself

"A friend is a gift you give yourself." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Why is it that as a mother we tend to forget about our own "refueling"? This week has really been a challenge for me. My children somehow lost all sensibility and set their goal to be "drive mommy crazy!". Truth be told, they succeeded the better part of the week. However, God saved the day (as He always does) and intervened. Two of my dearest friends came over today. He must have known what my week was going to be like when He had us plan our get together.
Lesson learned: I need time with my dear friends to keep my sanity.

Homage to My Friends
Addie and Jennifer. We go way back. In fact, Addie and Jenn knew each other in elementary. I didn't meet them until junior high. It was during our high school years that our friendships developed. It seems as if we've been through everything together. Dating, babysitting, house sitting, camps, retreats, ministry trips, engagements, weddings, and even child bearing.

So, here we are, all grown up. We always talked about these years as if they were so far away - how did we get here so quickly? I can remember conversations of our dream husbands; we've all been blessed. I can remember conversations of our dream weddings; we've all been blessed. I can remember conversations of our dream families; we've all been blessed.

I remember Addie talking about her grandmother's circle of friends. Her grandmother would say that years would pass between get togethers with her circle of friends but they could always just pick right up where they left off. I always wanted that for us, we've been blessed. In this stage of life only seasons pass between get togethers and I'm not naive enough to think that our day won't come when years will pass but I have no doubt that we'll always just pick right up where we left off.

Jenn, Addie - I can't thank God enough for you. Our friendship is precious to me. Thank you.

Name: Rebekah
Home: Kansas, United States
See my complete profile





Powered by Blogger